» Home

» Contact Us

General Information

» Student Employment Through the Financial Aid Office
» Federal Work Study Program
» General Information For Students
» Location, Hours, Phone/Fax
» Terms & Conditions of Employment
» Types of FWSP Jobs on Campus
» Community Service and Off-Campus Employment (FWSP)
» Pay Rates (FWSP)/Getting Paid (FWSP)
» Working During the Summer on the FWSP
» Job Location and Development Program (New Brunswick Campus)
» International Student Employment
» Other University Employment
» Additional Information

Student Employment Through the Financial Aid Office

The Financial Aid Office administers two employment programs for students: the Federal Work Study Program (FWSP) and the Job Location and Development Program (JLDP). The FWSP is offered to financial aid recipients who meet certain criteria; the JLDP is available to all university students. On the New Brunswick campus, the Student Employment Office assists students with finding part-time and seasonal employment through both programs. On the Newark and Camden campuses, students can receive information about the FWSP at the Financial Aid Offices. Information about other employment programs is available in the Career Development Center in Newark and the Career Planning and Placement Office in Camden.
Back to Top
Federal Work Study Program

The FWSP is funded by the federal government and the university. It is a financial aid program. The purpose of the program is to place financially eligible students in part-time employment so that students can earn funds while attending college. To be considered for FWSP funds, a student must file the FAFSA form by the priority deadline, and must be financially eligible according to federal and university policies. Eligible students are notified that they have been offered FWSP funds on the Financial Aid Offer Letter; Instructions to students are in included in the Award Letter Guide. Notification of job placement begins in June and continues throughout September. Students must file a FAFSA form each year and must continue to be financially eligible to participate.
Back to Top
General Information for Students

The following is general information about the Federal Work Study Program (FWSP).Information was compiled based on the most frequently asked questions. You are responsible for all information presented. Please take particular note of the information listed under the sections "Recording Your Hours Worked" and "Prohibition on Studying while Working."

Any questions you have should be addressed to staff in the Student Employment Office in New Brunswick and the Financial Aid Offices in Newark and Camden. References to "the office" or "our office" refer to the three offices. Addresses, hours, and phone numbers of the three offices are listed under "Location, Hours, Phone/Fax," below.

Placement - Students are placed in departments that are authorized to have FWSP employees. Only the Student Employment/Financial Aid Offices can authorize placements. Before you begin working, you must have an Employment Authorization Form (EAF). Your request to work in a specific department will be considered whenever possible, but you may be placed in another department if the one you chose has already received the maximum number of students it is authorized to have. See "Survey of Continuing Students" for information on web EAF's.

Survey of Continuing Students - During the spring semester, an email survey of continuing students is conducted. Students are asked whether they want to return to the same FWSP job in the following academic year, whether they want a different job, and if they are not sure at the time of the survey. Students who request to return to the same job will receive a web EAF.

Prohibition on Studying while Working - The term "work study" refers to the fact that a FWSP employee is a student with a job. All FWSP jobs are real part-time jobs and require students to work to earn the funds. Students are not permitted to study while being paid FWSP funds.

Payroll Authorization - When you receive your EAF, your payroll status will be noted on the form. If you need to complete payroll papers, you must do so before you can begin work. The department in which you will be working will assist you. When you go to the department, you will need to bring your Social Security card and one other form of identification. (If you do not currently have your Social Security card, contact our office and we will advise you.) If your EAF indicates that you are currently on payroll, you do not need to fill out these forms.

Amount of Funds - Your EAF lists the amount of FWSP funds for which you are eligible. Arrange your hours with your supervisor so that you can earn what you need, up to the maximum amount allowed. You are not guaranteed this amount of money; you must schedule your work with your supervisor so that you can earn the amount.

Work Schedule - Your work schedule is determined in conjunction with your supervisor, whose name is listed on the EAF. Be realistic about the time that you will be available to work. Students and supervisors should arrive at a schedule that allows the department to benefit from the student's availability and that allows the student to earn the necessary amount of money. The amount of funds available, the hourly wage, and the number of weeks you are available to work should all be taken into consideration at the time that you are setting your schedule. If a change in work schedule is required, it is your responsibility to notify your supervisor as soon as you know about the change. Although circumstances may come up that require you to request an immediate change in schedule, a week's notice is preferable.

Recording Your Hours Worked - You are responsible for accurately recording the hours that you worked. Your supervisor is responsible for verifying that the hours are correct. Your employing department will instruct you in the procedures for recording your hours. Recording hours that you did not work is fraud. Signing someone else's name to a time report form is forgery. If you participate in either of these activities, you will be dismissed from your job and you will be required to reimburse the university for funds that you received.Additionally, you may be charged with a separable offense under the University Code of Conduct and you may no longer be eligible for future FWSP funding.

Maximum Hours per Week - During the summer, students may work up to 35 hours per week. Students are not required to work 35 hours per week but, as mentioned above, should arrive at a schedule that is mutually agreeable to student and supervisor. During the academic year, students may work up to 20 hours per week.

Departmental Rules - As an employee of the department, you are expected to adhere to the rules within the department to which you have been assigned. These include but are not limited to rules about who to call in case of absences, rules governing confidentiality, attendance requirements, uniforms, and rules about the use of computers and phones.

Absences - If you know in advance that you cannot work on a day you are scheduled to work, it is your responsibility to notify your supervisor as early as possible (preferably no less than 24 hours before the fact). If you are ill, call your supervisor as early in the workday as possible. If you are requesting time off in advance, please remember that it is a request and may not be able to be granted. Repeated absences (or lateness) can be cause for dismissal from your job.

Getting Paid - In any two-week pay period in which your department submitted a time report form, a check will be generated and sent to the department in which you work. Checks for students working off campus will be sent to the Student Employment/Financial Aid Office. You will only be paid for hours that you work (breaks, lunches, holidays, and absences will not be paid for). The amount of your paycheck will be determined by your hourly wage multiplied by the number of hours you worked within the two-week pay period. If you work at more than one job within the university, only one check will be issued for the entire amount earned in both departments. Check with both departments to determine where the check will be delivered. If you do not receive pay to which you are entitled, you or your supervisor must contact our office. If you are not going to receive a check because your payroll forms are incomplete or you are not active in the payroll system, you will receive all pay to which you are entitled on the next pay date after payroll forms have been completed and entered into the system. Your department can advise you of that date.

Cancellation of Assignment - Once you have received your EAF with your assignment information, you must get in touch with your supervisor to establish your work schedule and starting date, even if you cannot begin immediately. If you do not contact your supervisor within a week of assignment, your assignment will be canceled. You will only receive consideration for alternative placement after all initial assignments have been made and then only if job opportunities are still available.

Resigning - If you need to resign from your FWSP position, give your supervisor two weeks notice. Two weeks notice is standard employment practice. You must also notify the Student Employment/Financial Aid Office as soon as possible so that we are aware that the department has a job opening.

Reassignments - If you feel that you have a legitimate reason for not accepting your assignment or for not continuing in your FWSP job, make an appointment to speak to an administrator in our office. This appointment is not a promise of reassignment; it is an opportunity to discuss and explore various solutions.

Declining - If you cannot accept a job in the FWSP and you have already received an assignment, please notify us so that we can make the job available to other students.
Back to Top
Location, Hours, Phone/Fax

New Brunswick
The Student Employment Office is located in Room 140, Records Hall on the College Avenue Campus in New Brunswick. The mailing address is 620 George Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901- 1175.

The Student Employment Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 5:00. The phone number is 848-932-8817 and the fax number is 732-932-0524.

The Office of Financial Aid is located at 249 University Avenue (Blumenthal Hall, third floor). The hours are from 8:30 to 4:30, Monday through Friday (call for evening hours). The phone number is 973-353-5152 and the fax number is 973-353-5057.

The office is located in Armitage Hall, lower level, at 311 N. Fifth Street. The hours are from 8:30 to 5:00, Monday through Thursday and Friday 8:30 to 4:30 (call for evening hours). The phone number is 856-225-6039 and the fax number is 856-225-6074.
Back to Top
Terms & Conditions of Employment

Terms and conditions of employment are provided to students at the time of placement.
Back to Top
Types of FWSP Jobs on Campus

FWSP jobs exist in almost every department at the university. There are jobs in libraries, student centers, gyms, computer centers, academic offices (like the English, Philosophy, or Economics Departments), administrative offices (like Financial Aid, University Accounting, and Admissions), visual arts departments, and museums, just to name a few. Many employment opportunities are available, including general clerical, lifeguard, peer counselor, and research assistant. Contact the Financial Aid Office at Newark and Camden or the Student Employment Office in New Brunswick for further information.
Back to Top
Community Service and Off-Campus Employment (FWSP)

Students on the FWSP can choose to earn their funds in a community service job, which can be on-campus or off-campus, or in an off-campus non-profit agency. Some of our community service jobs include work in nutrition education programs in public schools, research on rebuilding the Gulf Coast after hurricanes Katrina and Rita, day care, legal defense, and community health jobs. Recently we have added community service tutoring jobs in support of the National Literacy initiative. Although most of our jobs are in New Jersey, community service opportunities may also be available in other states throughout the country.

Some students like to work for non-profit organizations, such as public schools, social service agencies and City administrative offices. In addition to the opportunities in the traditional on-campus FWSP and the community service FWSP job options, non-profit agencies provide another source of employment for university students, particularly students who like to work in their own town or city. There are some specific requirements and restrictions for agencies that wish to participate. For more information, contact the Student Employment or Financial Aid Offices.

Questions or comments regarding content of this page may be directed to the Student Employment Office at 848-932-8817.
Back to Top
Pay Rates (FWSP)/Getting Paid (FWSP)

Pay Rates (FWSP)
Pay rates range from $8.38 to $11.00. The pay rate for each FWSP job is determined by the degree of skill or experience required for the job and the number years the student has been on the FWSP at Rutgers University.

Getting Paid
FWSP students are paid every two weeks. Students may opt for direct deposit of the paycheck. See the Division of Payroll Services website, http://payroll.rutgers.edu, "Direct Deposit for Hourly Employees." Paychecks come directly to the student at the employing department. The pay check comes directly to the student at the employing department. Payment to students employed in community service and off-campus agencies is the same as for the traditional FWSP, except that students working out-of-state can request to have their pay checks mailed to them. The amount of each check is determined by the number of hours the student worked during the two week pay period and the student's hourly pay rate. Other taxes may be deducted, depending on how the student fills out the federal withholding form (W-4). Students may continue to work until they have received the total gross amount of FWSP that appeared on the Financial Aid Offer or until the end of the academic year, whichever comes first (Students who are not registered for the spring semester must stop working at the end of the fall semester).
Back to Top
Working During the Summer on the FWSP

Students who want to work during the summer must complete a separate Rutgers summer FWS application. Applications and complete information about the summer program are available in April at the Student Employment and Financial Aid Offices. Student eligibility to participate will be determined by the following:
  • If the student is taking summer classes, the student must have remaining financial need from the prior academic year to participate. The cost of attendance in summer classes and other financial aid received for summer will be take into consideration in determining need for summer FWS. Students in this category must stop working during the summer by a specific date.

  • If the student is not taking summer classes, the student must be returning to the university in the fall, must have filed a FAFSA for the upcoming academic year, and must have financial eligibility. Earning FWS funds during the summer will reduce eligibility for FWS funds during the academic year for student in this category. Students in this category may continue working into the academic year at the same job if they have funds remaining and the department agrees to their continued employment.
Questions or comments regarding content of this page may be directed to the Student Employment Office at 848-932-8817.
Back to Top
Job Locations and Development Program (New Brunswick Campus)

The JLDP is open to any university student interested in finding off-campus part-time or seasonal employment. To participate, you must be a currently registered student. Students may review job listings on our website: http://studentwork.rutgers.edu. Jobs are listed by category and information about location and transportation are posted on the job description. Students contact the companies and arrange for interviews. All decisions on hiring are made by the employer. There are no financial aid requirements for participation in the JLDP; the service is available to all university students. Although Newark and Camden campuses do not have a program specifically called JLDP, the Career Service Offices receive and post similar jobs in their offices. Newark and Camden students are welcome to use the JLDP.
Back to Top
International Student Information

International students registered in New Brunswick must visit the Center for International Faculty and Student Services before seeking employment. The Center is located at 180 College Avenue in New Brunswick. International students registered in Newark must contact the International Student Advising Office located in Smith Hall, Newark. International students registered in Camden must contact the Office of Student Life in Armitage Hall, Camden. Staff members at these offices will assist students with the requirements needed before students can apply for jobs.
Back to Top
Other University Employment

Many university departments hire students directly, paying them from departmental funds (not FWSP). Students who are not on the FWSP but would like to work on campus are encouraged to contact departments in which they would like to work. Some of the university departments that hire students are: the libraries, the dining halls, the student centers, the gyms, and some of the residence halls. There are many other departments that hire students. You may also wish to check departmental web pages for information about available jobs. Interested students may ask about employment opportunities in any department to determine if such jobs are available.

Questions or comments regarding content of this page may be directed to the Student Employment Office at 848-932-8817.
Back to Top
Additional Information

For additional information about student employment opportunities call the Student Employment office in New Brunswick, the Financial Aid Offices in Newark and Camden, and the Career Services Offices in Newark and Camden. This information is subject to change without notice. Further changes to laws and regulations may make some of the information incomplete or inaccurate.
Back to Top